Instacart+ members can invite family or friends from the same household to build a cart together.
Set up a family cart
Before you start shopping, you need to create a family account. To create a family account—
- Select the 3 horizontal lines in the top left corner of the screen.
- Select Your Instacart+ membership.
- Select Your family account.
- Select Send invite and share the link via email or text with the person you want to build a cart with.
Join a family cart
Got an email or text invite to join a family cart? Select Accept invite, log in to your Instacart account or create an account if you don’t already have one, and start shopping the family cart.
Access a family cart
You can easily switch between family carts and your personal cart in the Instacart app or on the website—
- Select the cart icon in the bottom middle of the screen.
- Select the gear icon in the top right corner of the cart screen.
- Choose Shop with family cart or Shop with personal cart to switch between carts.
- You can also go to Continue Shopping to see all carts, including a family cart.
You can each shop individually if you prefer, as items in a personal cart don’t add to a family cart.
Check out with a family cart
Anyone with access to the family cart can check out and place the order using their account payment method. However, cart members can't split payment.
Everyone in the family cart gets a notification when someone checks out the order. Everyone gets order updates, but only the person who checked out the order can select replacements, edit the existing order, and chat with the shopper.
NOTE: If you deactivate your Instacart+ account before completing a family cart order or switch to a personal cart, you lose all of the items in your family cart.